As we near the start of 2016, most companies know that they should?be employing social media channels, but there are still a great deal of organizations that do not understand how. From multi-million dollar corporations to budding not-for-profits, organizations on every corner of the business spectrum need to have an understanding of the tone of voice they will use on social platforms before ever creating their first company profile.
Know Your Audience
It may seem simple, but it is more important than ever to understand who your audience is and what they expect. Gone are the days when one message fit all consumers. Today?s sophisticated audiences expect there to be a conversation, as opposed to just one-way communication. If your audience feels like you are not listening to them, they are liable to find a brand who will.
Understand Your Purpose
Of course, the ultimate goal with any business is to sell, drive leads, and generate interest in your brand. Your audience knows this, so there is no reason to keep repeating it over and over. Instead, for your social presence, decide what else you want to be known for. For instance, if you are a high-end sneaker company and triathlon runners are your biggest audience, you want to give tips and insight into a healthy lifestyle, and illustrate that your brand?s image is in line with their own lifestyle. Become a trusted source of information, not just a company that sells a product.
Develop Your Social Media Voice
Now that you?ve laid the groundwork, you can begin to build. Decide how you want to be perceived by your audience and use a tone and language that illustrates that. For instance, this is where the 80/20 rule will be your best ally: 80% of your content should be a combination of informative and entertaining content, while the remaining 20% can be more of a direct sales message.
Engage Your Audience
Remember how we said this isn?t a one-way communication system? Here is where that idea comes into play. If you?re speaking to your audience in a way that relates to them, it will certainly generate a response. Don?t ignore it! Instead, listen to what they are saying and continue the conversation.
As with all digital marketing, there is never one set way to do something. Test your posts and see which ones are getting the most engagement and generating the most conversation. Continue to tweak your messaging based on the results and feedback you receive.
If you would like to learn more about developing your social media tone of voice, contact one of the social media specialists at Active Web Group. As a full service digital marketing agency, we can also assist in your other marketing efforts, such as SEO, email marketing, and website development.